Thank you for your patience while we retrieve your images.

Photo Info

Dimensions3466 x 2090
Original file size7.98 MB
Image typeJPEG
Color spacesRGB
Date taken23-Aug-17 21:03
Date modified24-Aug-17 13:12
Shooting Conditions

Camera modelNIKON D4
Focal length14 mm
Focal length (35mm)14 mm
Max lens aperturef/2.8
Exposure20s at f/2.8
FlashNot fired
Exposure bias0 EV
Exposure modeManual
Exposure prog.Manual
ISO speedISO 1600
Metering modePattern
Digital zoom1x


In June 2016 Sean Daly and I made plans to capture both Boston Light and Graves on the same night. We first arrived by the whaler to Graves for a daytime site survey before heading to photograph Boston. We had planned to shoot Graves immediately after but clouds came streaming in postponing the shoot. Fourteen months later on a clear night we returned to Graves, this time as guests of the owner. He arranged a captain to drop us on the rocky outcropping where the lighthouse sits with plans to collect us the following morning. We were carrying about ten cases of gear including a tent and sleeping bags and all was hoisted up thirty feet to a platform attached to the lighthouse. Moving around on the rocks is slippery and dangerous but the low tide made it possible though treacherous. Most of the rocks are underwater at high tide, many are seaweed and kelp covered, and almost all have some sort of attached slippery growth. Prior to sunset I picked a line to make a crossing to the northern oil house where a light was preset. I did the same to the south side with a separate light before enjoying a barbeque on the platform. Once darkness started to settle it was off onto the rocks. The crossing was a bit soggier as the tide had turned and the time on the north rocks was to be short. Several angles were made before the gear was collected and safely secured near the tower. The water had risen a couple of feet with the incoming tide and was thankful for the fishermen’s waders and ice crampons. However, because of grabbing one angle too many from the oil house, the tide was higher than expected. As I made way to the south side the rocks exposed earlier in the day were now underwater and the path line was now altered. My hope was to be able to climb high and south enough to get a shot with the Boston skyline in the background but the tide was coming in much faster than anticipated and those plans were shelved. In what can only be called a non-stop hustle two different angles were captured before hightailing it back to the tower but not before wading through three feet of water. Yet I still needed to collect the light off the rocks and the return to its location was harried and quick. At one point I slipped but had kept a low center of gravity as a constant crouching position was maintained during the jaunt. The fall was minor though Sean was concerned while watching the activity from the platform. The final crossing with the light was made minutes before the tide would have made it impossible. I made several trips up the platform ladder before collapsing into the sleeping bag for the night. The lighthouse was opened in 1903 to warn ships in Boston Harbor of the dangerous rocks. The lighthouse is now used as a second home for the owner as work continues renovating the tower.
Boston, Massachusetts August 23, 2017 9:02pm 72° 5-10mph wind
Nikon D4 14mm lens ISO 1600 f2.8 20secs